Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Picante

9/29/14

Big news this week: I ate a chili pepper.  For those that know me well, you know that I don't do spicy well.  So this was a big deal for me. I was feeling brave.  Even Hermana Juarez told me I was crazy for doing it.  But she also told me it'd make my Spanish better.  I'm still waiting for that part to come true though... But it was PICANTE (spicy)!  Like killer spicy.  I felt like I literally had flames sitting on my tongue.  I chugged so much milk, but it didn't do much.  But eventually my tongue just  started going numb...  So that was an experience. 

Embarrassing moment of the week: So we had dinner last night with a great family in our ward.  We got to the door and I did the super cliche knock that's like *Dun-nun-nuh-nuh...nuhh-nuhh* (you know what I mean, right?). Their son-in-law opened up the door really quickly and was like "You didn't." Hermana Juarez just pointed to me.  He was like "You didn't really just do that."  I thought he was saying that because it's super cliche or something, so I was kind of confused.  But then he was like, "That's really bad." I asked why and apparently when you do that in Hispanic culture it's like a series of bad words.  I had no idea. I was pretty embarrassed. So that was that. 

Other than that, we're still working hard to find new investigators.  And having fun along the way (we fed a horse on the side of the road one day and have found some pretty good overlooks of the valley). 

Yesterday, though, a family walked into Sacrament Meeting like halfway through and they looked a little familiar, but we didn't know from where.  We went up and talked to them afterwards and apparently we had talked to them like a month ago in the park and invited them to church! We set up an appointment to see them this Thursday and want to come to church again.  So that was sweet! BUT, we share the ward with two sets of elders and when we looked up the family's address we found out that they're in the Elder's area.  So that's a bummer, but the Elders are great so they'll be good to teach them! And it's awesome that they came! Especially since it's been like a month since we last talked to them.  And we had only talked to them for like 5 minutes.  So we're excited about that.  

Anyways, everything else is pretty good here! The weather's getting nicer.  We even wore sweaters to church yesterday, which is a big deal because for most of the time I've been here it's been between 95 and 110 degrees.  So we're loving this weather.

And we can definitely see the hand of God in our lives.  He's always supporting, guiding and protecting us.  Being a missionary is cool. 

Con mucho amor, 

Hermana Horne 

No comments:

Post a Comment